No announcement yet.

Enlighten Me in the ways of Anime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprised this hasn't been posted before, this is my first time seeing it so I thought I might toss it here.

Comment

• So... I have been trying to watch Utawarerumono, because I found the 2006 version to be interesting enough. It wasnt "great" but it had a nice premise and held my interest long enough to get to the end.

So I have to wonder... whats wrong with Utawarerumono.. they have better artists for sure, they seem to have a better budget... but I'll be damned if the writer decided to make a heaping pile of shit. The fist 4 episodes.. AMAZING.. good, nice pacing, introductions to characters, world, etc... and then.. it just turns into endless filler of "girls being pathetic". Is this what passes for entertainment now in japan.. is that what people want? Just episode after episode of mindless trash that doesnt advance the plot, doesn't let you know more about the characters... its just girls going about everyday things but doing them in the least efficient way they could possibly do them and trying to be "cute" in the process.

Please tell me I am not the only one sorely disappointed in the missed opportunity to make a better version of the 2006 anime...

Comment

• Originally posted by Xionanx View Post
        So... I have been trying to watch Utawarerumono, because I found the 2006 version to be interesting enough. It wasnt "great" but it had a nice premise and held my interest long enough to get to the end.
        Let's take a little walk down memory lane.

While Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen was led by the same guy who did the original, it wasn't written under the same conditions. The original was a PC eroge published by Leaf around 2003-ish?, under the direction of then-head Tozokoro Miyuchi, the guy who told our members of parliament, or whatever it is DIET reps are, that if they wanted to restrict eroge, they might as well sell land to foreigners because the economic impact of doing so would pretty much mean that. Needless to say, it had a LOT of leeway, mostly due to it being 18+, partially due to it being for PC, where the standards are far, far more lenient. He retired around 2009, after which that whole conglomerate seemed to want to go the Type-Moon path (no eroge, all 15+ content). Fewer and fewer titles were released under the Leaf brand, and even those contained less and less "adult" content, both sexual and otherwise. This was evidently because they had started developing with the PlayStation platforms as a priority instead of PC, and Sony is VERY, VERY, VERY strict as to what kind of erotica gets put on their platforms. You want to rip clothes off girls? Sure. You want to take photos of their underwear, or them peeing? Sure. You want to have a game wherein the main premise is you "magically" impregnate 15+ year old girls so that you can send your children to fight monsters that are wearing nothing but mist and conveniently placed lightbeams? SURE. Half a nipple, or an intimate embrace? GTFO.

So that was the environment going into production for Utawarerumono 2. Now you had a team led by Moo Moo (Suga whateverthefuckhisgivennameisikindaforgotandcbfdto lookitup) making a sequel to an eroge a dozen years later, with multiple members of his staff missing because they weren't getting any more work because Leaf is basically a dead brand at this point. Moo Moo, whose best known works are parts of ToHeart, a franchise where the main character development somehow ties in with their sexual kinks (let's have the girl who's traumatized over losing her little brother call the protag "lil' bro" while they're being intimate, and while we're at it let's make the rich girl who secretly wants to try "common" things refuse to sleep with the protagonist unless he buys her instant noodles). There was no way in hell it was going to come out anything close to decent, not with Moo Moo caged in this little 15+ box when the guy doesn't really know how to write anything under 17+. Add Sony into the mix and that 15+ might as well be 13+.
        MY SIGNATURE MAKES PEOPLE MAD.
        Yes, you can click on the big, red text. Also, meet mai new waifu. Isn't he lovely?

Comment

• But the Anime isn't "Ero" at all.. neither are.. It just feels like they had a strong start/premise for the sequel and then decided to turn it into a kiddy harem.. the girls might as well be pokemon with how "sexually desirable" they are. I get the impression that its trying to pander to "some" group of people.. but I'll be damned if I can put a finger on "Who" that group may be.

It started out with an "Adventure Fantasy" vibe, which I was interested in.. and now its a "Yet another "Dull Guy with no ambition gets a Kiddy Harem" type anime... only no one is having sex/getting naked/or doing anything overtly sexual other then "Being Embarrassed" about "feelings".

Comment

• Ended up watching Shiki on a whim and found out that I liked it quite a bit. Hated the art style but the story played out sort of like an anime version of Stephen King's "Salem's Lot".

John_Gilgamesh
            Jordhav Family

Oronis / John
            Battlnet ID: Oronis#1392
            XBOX Live: Oronis
            Steam: Oronis22

Comment

• Originally posted by Xionanx View Post
              It started out with an "Adventure Fantasy" vibe, which I was interested in.. and now its a "Yet another "Dull Guy with no ambition gets a Kiddy Harem" type anime... only no one is having sex/getting naked/or doing anything overtly sexual other then "Being Embarrassed" about "feelings".
              Welcome to Sony's 15+ standards, where you can find everything from heavily-implied homosexuality of both genders (the Saki franchise and DRAMAtical Murder immediately come to mind), to BlazBlue, to Steins;Gate.

Writing will always be weaker when you put more restrictions on it. Compare Hellsing Ultimate with Hellsing's TV run, NGE with Rebuild, FSN with F/Zero, etc. Utawarerumono is no exception. Even the original's TV run toned down the intermittently overwhelming, dark, insidious, and melancholy atmosphere that the eroge had, and the rape, torture, brutal genocide and persecution parts were fully cut out.
              Yes, you can click on the big, red text. Also, meet mai new waifu. Isn't he lovely?

Comment

• GATE has started is second season for those who care (like me).. Now where is Overlord...

Comment

• Drifters is putting a pre-release DVD out on June 6. It's basically a shorter cut of ep 1 and 2 from the upcoming TV run, or so the advert says.

http://www.nbcuni.co.jp/rondorobe/an...x00040000.html

Comment

• Is Drifters any good? I have never watched it before.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I love the Manga. I wish more of it would come over to the U.S. but Dark Horse is a terrible publisher when it comes to manga.
                      "Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago." -Skirnir

‎"Poorly would I remember the laws of the Jomsvikings if I shrank from death or spoke words of fear. Death comes to every man." -Unknown

Comment

• I know this isn't the newest of news, but one punch man just got a second season announcement.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago." -Skirnir

‎"Poorly would I remember the laws of the Jomsvikings if I shrank from death or spoke words of fear. Death comes to every man." -Unknown

Comment

• If you are into visually impressive gore and violence then look no further than Yakitate!! Japan
                          Steam: _the_mojo_rising
                          Origin: themojorising84
                          GOG: themojorising

Comment

• Wait... the one about baking bread? lol

Comment

Working...
                            X